- An increase in demand for Electricity along with the increase of renewables coming on to the grid means ESB require a reliable source to produce electricity during high demands and help balance the grid when the demand lowered
- ESB wanted to ensure these long-established machines that are distributed across the country operate safely and are protected by a reliable Vibration protection and condition monitoring system
- Vibration measurements in hydro turbines and generators are essential and ESB realised that their generators required sensor and protection systems upgrade
- Condition monitoring can significantly help improve the reliable operation of rotating machinery, ESB did not have a condition monitoring system installed, this would help in maintenance planning and reliability.
DNV GL solution
DNVGL were approached to provide a turnkey solution to ESB including;
- Site survey of all sites and equipment
- Complete solution design – including sensor location, bracket design, cable runs, instrument panel design, full wiring layout
- Monitoring system configuration
- Panel build
- Acceptance testing and documentation.
- A Meggitt Sensing Systems VM600 machinery protection and condition monitoring system was installed covering the Turbine and generator
- Equipped with state-of-the-art proximity probes and vibration accelerometers from the Vibro-Meter® product range, which are ideal for machines rotating at lower speeds.
- Meggitt condition monitoring software was installed to provide online monitoring and trending of the vibration data improving ESB ability to plan maintenance around the condition of the machine.
Outcome and benefits
- ESB now has a protection and condition monitoring system for all their hydroelectric assets, also allowing remote monitoring of the machine vibration from their main offices
- An integrated solution for machinery protection and condition monitoring
- Common hardware and software provide a complete vibration system that is more convenient to use and easier to manage
- Latest-generation VibroSight® software enables the operator to configure, operate and manage data from the VM600 machinery monitoring systems. It helps DNVGL to remote monitor and analyse real-time, historical trends and dynamic data providing ESB with a quarterly report identifying any issues and recommendations on corrective works.