To develop new design capabilities for the modern control strategy of model predictive control (MPC) applied to wind turbines.
- Field test data obtained at NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory) and analysed to confirm performance improvements using simple LiDAR-assisted feed-forward control.
- Design process and controller structure defined for MPC.
- MPC implemented in controller software and tested using Bladed. The advantages over classical control were evaluated.
- Publications at industry conferences.
- A new approach to wind turbine control design was developed using MPC theory.
- This new service has vast potential for more robust controller design.
- MPC approaches include system constraints, disturbances, coupling and nonlinearity when determining the optimum control actions.
Quote from DNV GL project expert
“Today we can measure the environment affecting our systems better than ever before. Model predictive control allows us to couple this new information with our state-of-the-art system modelling capabilities to provide the next level of turbine closed loop performance for our clients.”
Avishek Kumar, Control Algorithm Designer, DNV GL - Energy
Have a look at our brochure, video and related links.
Turbine engineering support
DNV GL’s Turbine engineering team provides world-leading independent expertise in wind turbine technology, design and analysis. We support the industry in the design and operation of more reliable and cost-effective wind turbines. Watch our new video to find out more.
Turbine Engineering Services brochure
Download the Turbine engineering support brochure for more information.
Bladed Batch Framework video
Watch an introduction to the new batch framework within the latest version of Bladed.
DNV GL’s Project FORCE (FOr Reduced Cost of Energy) identifies cost of energy savings of at least 10% that can be achieved by the integration of four market-ready technologies – all of which could be realized in the next few years.
Read our experts' blogs
Visit Utility of the Future: the DNV GL blog site where our very own experts talk about all things renewables.
Control solutions for wind farms and wind turbines
Our wind farms and wind turbines simulation and analysis expertise enables us to provide you with control solutions that are both underpinned with a unique understanding of up-to-date technology, and integrated into the overall turbine design process.
Design analysis for wind farms and wind turbines
Our dynamic design analysis for wind farms and wind turbines allow you to optimize your device at every stage of its design.
Advanced modelling tool and expert support help you answer difficult design and cost questions regarding your wind turbine, component or farm.
Bladed wind turbine simulation tool is key for optimizing your turbine at every phase of its design.
Renewable Energy Software
Software inspired by a broader view. Our solutions support a variety of business critical activities including design and engineering, optimization and portfolio management.