ChallengeOwners and operators of high speed critical rotating equipment need their vibration protection systems to be reliable. After 10 years in operation protection systems can start to exhibit reduced reliability, obsolescence and obtaining spare parts can becomes a problem. Operators should have a plan to either hold spare parts or a system replacement program as protection system failure would leave critical equipment unprotected.
DNV GL solution
DNV GL assist in performing a lifetime assessment study to verify the condition and operation of the vibration protection systems, including:
- Identification of the end to end components from sensor to protection relay
- Obsolescence report on the identified components and recommendation of critical spares
- Verification of sensor calibration procedures and record keeping
- Verification of protection system end to end functional checking and record keeping
- Spares and stock holding review with recommendations.
Outcome and benefits
- The findings of the study provide the operator with an up-to-date picture of the risks relating to the health of their vibration protection system, including the main technical and safety challenges
- An obsolescence report on critical components and recommended action
- Updated financial information provides input into the business case for replacing obsolete items and systems
- Avoid unexpected production outages through false trips caused by protection system unreliability and spare part unavailability
- Plan to replace obsolete components during planned outages rather than costly breakdown outage repairs