The market for grid-connected energy storage systems is relatively new and unexplored – but growing rapidly. For a successful deployment, you need clarity and shared expectations between buyer and supplier. To enable that, DNV GL took the lead in bringing together an international consortium of industry stakeholders (the GRIDSTOR project) to develop the GRIDSTOR Recommended Practice. Focusing on safety, operation and performance, it offers a single, global framework for creating and operating safe and sustainable energy storage.
On January 12th 2016, DNV GL officially published the GRIDSTOR Recommended Practice (DNVGL-RP-0043).
The GRIDSTOR Recommended Practice closes the gaps in existing standards by:
- covering a broad range of energy storage technologies and applications
- using a system-level approach
- offering a clear, comprehensive structure
- linking to all key standards and guidelines from a single document
- providing simple, clear and practice-based additional guidance where needed, in harmony with all of those standards and guidelines.
Clear, practice-based guidelines for all stakeholders
Using the GRIDSTOR Recommended Practice, you can be confident your system meets specific and shared safety, operational and performance criteria. It provides you with a framework for achieving your goal whether you are (for example):
- A user who wants to be sure you are choosing the right grid-connected energy storage system
- An aggregator who wants to develop an RfP
- A manufacturer who wants to demonstrate the quality and safety of your system and distinguish yourself from your competitors
- An investor who wants to ensure the system you intend to invest in meets performance criteria and is operated correctly
Complete confidence, with tailored services
The Recommended Practice is freely available and usable. To help you make the most it, DNV GL offers dedicated services with tailored support for your grid-connected energy storage system project. We put our extensive experience in technology qualifications, grids and the renewable energy market to work for you. You have a quality guarantee that makes everything clear between buyer and supplier, for complete confidence and a mutually satisfactory outcome.
- Technical due diligence
- Owner’s engineering
- Market assessment
- Technology reviews
Learn more by downloading our GRIDSTOR brochure.
The GRIDSTOR Recommended Practice (RP) on Grid-Connected Energy Storage Systems (RP-0043) has been widely used since its launch in December 2015. As anticipated during the development of the RP, the energy storage sector experiences rapid and strong developments and innovations. In addition to the unanimously positive feedback from the industry, there have been a number of questions and recommendations for updates of the existing RP.
Consequently, an update will be made of the existing GRIDSTOR recommended practice. We would like to invite you to participate in the RP-update Joint Industry Project and join the consortium. In Q3 and Q4 of 2016, this consortium will together work on the development of the updates in line with the most important developments in the sector. A number of potential topics raised by the industry are:
- The addition of new energy storage technologies to the RP;
- Cyber security and communication protocols related to the energy storage system BMS and EMS;
- Contracting templates to facilitate a standardized approach for project development and storage system implementation.
We are curious to understand your interests and potential topics for the update. Please contact us in order to express your interest in joining the JIP, we will then come back to you to discuss your topics of interest and the conditions for participating.