The PSC’s Concentrated Inspection Campaign (CIC) 2019 on emergency systems and procedures will start on 1 September 2019. Its focus will be to verify the readiness of crew and emergency equipment in case of emergency. Now the questionnaire has been published. This PSC news is a follow-up of the PSC news from 25 June 2019.
Relevant for ship owners and managers
With the joint press release dated 1 August 2019, the Paris and Tokyo MoUs published the questionnaire for this year’s Concentrated Inspection Campaign (CIC). The Black Sea, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean, Riyadh and Vina del Mar MoUs will perform this CIC as well.
The questionnaire contains ten technical questions and one administrative question, and the CIC is focusing on the importance of regular training for different emergency scenarios as well as the proper maintenance of technical systems to ensure the readiness of crew equipment in case of any emergencies. It aims to reduce the high number of detainable deficiencies, in particular related to emergency generators, emergency fire pumps, and records of drills.
The special focus on crew familiarization is reflected by two newly introduced deficiency codes:
- 04120 Damage Control drill for passenger ships
- 04121 Crew familiarization with emergency systems
When deficiencies are identified, actions by the Port State Control (PSC) may vary, from recording a deficiency and instructing the master to rectify it within a certain period, to detaining the ship until the deficiencies are rectified.
The full Paris/Tokyo MoU press release and its questionnaire (checklist) for the CIC are attached to the PDF version of this PSC news.
- Become familiar with the questionnaire for the CIC on emergency systems and procedures.
- Inform the crew.
- Join DNV GL’s free online “smart-up” webinar on 14 August 2019, which is covering this CIC. Please register here.
- DNV GL’s Technical and Regulatory News No. 10/2019: Concentrated inspection campaigns focusing on MARPOL VI, auxiliary machinery and open lifeboats
- DNV GL’s PSC support page
- Paris/Tokyo MoU press release (see PDF version, page 2 - 4)
- Paris/Tokyo MoU Questionnaire for the Concentrated Inspection Campaign (see PDF version, page 5)