Riyadh MOU will carry out a Port State Control concentrated inspection campaign (CIC) on crew familiarization for enclosed space entry from 1 September 2017. This PSC news includes the official press release and questionnaire by Riyadh MoU and additional guidance by DNV GL.
Relevant for owners and managers of sea-going vessels.
Riyadh MOU will carry out a Concentrated Inspection Campaign (CIC) on crew familiarization for enclosed space entry. The campaign will run from 01 September to 30 November 2017.
Riyadh MOU has published a questionnaire with 10 selected topics related to crew familiarization for enclosed space entry. Port State Control Officers (PSCO) will use the questionnaire to verify compliance with the requirements as specified in SOLAS Regulation III/19 for enclosed space entry and rescue drills.
The press release and questionnaire are attached to the download PDF of the newsletter.
Based on internal statistics, DNV GL has developed additional guidance on what and how to prepare for this CIC, which is also attached to this PSC news.
The areas of concern include:
- Crew familiarization with the operation of on-board safety systems and appliances for enclosed spaces
- Crew familiarization with rescue drills and emergency duties for enclosed spaces
- Crew awareness about risk when entering enclosed spaces
Depending on the nature of the deficiencies found during the CIC, the PSC requirements will vary from recording a deficiency and giving a specific deadline for its rectification to detaining the ship if serious deficiencies have been identified.
- Familiarize yourself with the questionnaire for the CIC
- Use the DNV GL checklist for checks on board
- Inform your crew about focus areas
- Press release – CIC on crew familiarization for enclosed space entry by Riyadh MoU 2017 (see page 2 in the PDF download below)
- Additional Guidance – CIC on crew familiarization for enclosed space entry by Riyadh MoU 2017 (see page 4 in the PDF download below)
For customers only: DATE – Direct Access to Technical Experts via My DNV GL.
Otherwise: Please email to PSC@dnvgl.com or use our office locator to find the nearest DNV GL maritime office.