- Author: Elinor Turander
- Keywords: Oil & Gas
The overall purpose of the JIP is to present the typical challenges that should be addressed in planning and design of marine operations and to establish a common basis for installation design of pipelines, umbilicals and cables:
- Establish standardized procedures for planning and design of lay operations that may be used in all projects irrespective of operator (oil company);
- Ensure an overall understanding of design requirements arising from installation loads (essential for suppliers);
- Ensure an overall understanding of typical behaviour and limitations inherent in pipes, umbilicals and cables (essential for installation contractors);
- Compile the industry’s best practice through workshops, and
- Clarify inconsistencies between codes currently in use.
The project will run for 12-18 months and the intention is to eventually incorporate the output into existing DNV GL Rules and Standards.
“At DNV GL, we see a great variety in the quality of installation analysis reports we receive from the industry. Although there are many examples of good engineering practice, we often find ourselves commenting on the same issues. By providing the industry with relevant guidelines, we hope to improve the efficiency and quality of both installation engineering and verification work. We are very happy with the positive response from the industry and their willingness to contribute in the development of these guidelines,” said Elisabeth Gjølmesli, Principal Engineer - Riser Technology, DNV GL.
“DNV GL leads more than 100 joint industry projects annually, combining our expertise with that of the sector to identify and find solutions to its most complex technical challenges. We set the benchmark in oil and gas industry best practice, offering open access to more than 170 oil and gas industry standards and recommended practices, which support the industry to improve safety, reliability and performance,” says Elisabeth Tørstad, CEO DNV GL Oil & Gas.
Partners are: ABB, Allseas, Boskalis/VSMC, Bureau Veritas, EMAS, Heerema, Hyundai Heavy Industries, JFE Steel, KW Ltd., McDermott, Nexans, NOV, Petrobras, Saipem, Statoil, Subsea7, Technip, Tideway, Wood Group Kenny and Woodside.
Industry players interested in further information about the JIP should contact:
Vice President, Pipeline Technology
Tel: +47 415 57 797
Principal Engineer, Riser Technology Tel: +47 911 96 673