The theme of the issue is: ‘The Digital Journey’. “Every Nor-Shipping challenges us to engage with the transformative trends within our industry, to see where the opportunities might be, and to work to identify and mitigate the risks of today and tomorrow. This year, the digital transformation of the shipping industry is the central theme, and in this issue of MARITIME IMPACT we address many aspects of this key topic,” says Knut Ørbeck-Nilssen, CEO of DNV GL – Maritime.
“At the same time, our industry is under increasing societal and regulatory pressure to reduce the environmental impact of vessels. With several new regulations soon to be in force, we examine operational and technology solutions to meet compliance requirements simply and efficiently,” he adds. In this issue of MARITIME IMPACT you can also read more about the first ballast water treatment systems to obtain U.S. Coast Guard approval and the first steps on the road to complying with the new EU MRV regulation.
This issue of MARITIME IMPACT includes some of the following topics:
- DNV GL’s Digital Journey – From electronic certificates and machine learning to the launch of a new industry data platform, DNV GL is embracing digitalization to enhance class services
- Fitting in – The expanded Panama Canal, its impact on shipping and what Neo-Panamax vessels planning to enter the waterway need to do to prepare for transit
- The Heavy Lifter – COSCO’s record-breaking heavy lift vessel Xin Guang Hua delivers FPSO to Europe
- Moving closer to perfection – Phase II of the PERFECt project explores the commercial viability of an ULCS propelled by a combined gas and steam turbine system
- Zero Emissions – Fuel cells, advanced battery packs and the world’s biggest hybrid ferry: Zero emission technologies are becoming an emerging force in the maritime world
- Health check for control networks – DNV GL and Greek ship owner CMM are developing a concept for testing the integrity of on-board control systems and networks
MARITIME IMPACT magazine is now available for download at www.dnvgl.com/mm
For a full overview of DNV GL’s activities at Nor-Shipping 2017, please visit www.dnvgl.com/nor-shipping