The updated standards now follow a shared common structure with harmonized requirements, terms and definitions making it easier for organisations to manage and implement them in future. Nigel Croft, Chair of the ISO subcommittee that developed and revised the 9001 standard, referred to the revision process as “evolutionary rather than a revolutionary”. He went on to add, “We are just bringing ISO 9001 firmly into the 21st century….Knowing that today’s organizations will have several management standards in place, we have designed the 2015 version to be easily integrated with other management systems.”
DNV GL has been preparing for the new standards for a long time and actively contributed to the revision process from the beginning. Following the positive outcome of recent accreditation audits for the new standards from DNV GL’s main Accreditation Bodies RvA (The Netherlands) and UKAS (UK) it is expected that DNV GL will receive accreditation within 1-2 months. As one of the leading global providers of accredited management systems certification DNV GL offers a broad portfolio of services within management system certification and related services. Click here for further information and support.
The key changes to the standards can be summarized as follows:
For ISO 9001:2015
- Enhanced leadership involvement in the management system
- The concept of risk based thinking and preventive action is now addressed throughout the standard
- Simplified language, common structure and terms
- Aligning the quality management standard policy and objectives with the strategy of the organization
For ISO 14001:2015
- Driven by leadership and require greater commitment from those at the top
- Better strategic fit – increased alignment with your strategic direction
- Greater protection for the environment – focus on proactive initiatives to protect the environment from harm and degradation
- Life cycle thinking – considering each product stage from development to end-of-life
Maritime Academy has just released a new one day course for their maritime customers. The course Revised ISO Standards 9001:2015 and 14001:2015 for Shipping Companies focuses on the specific changes of these standards and their implementation in shipping companies. The first dates have been planned and can be booked via our website
Please feel free to get in contact with your local DNV GL Maritime Academy for more details.