DNVGL-RP-G104 Identification and management of environmental barriers is based on the barrier management concept, which applies to identification, management and mitigation of major accident hazards. This RP provides guidelines and recommendations for the processes required by the EU Directive to identify and manage major environmental incidents (MEIs), and safety and environmental critical elements (SECEs) for offshore installations and operations.
It also provides guidance on establishing the related performance standards for managing MEIs and SECEs, and for implementing assurance and verification processes to demonstrate that the required levels of performance are being achieved.
The RP was designed by DNV GL experts working in the areas of environmental impact, barrier management, UK safety case, major accident risk management and critical element verification, and included feedback from key stakeholders in industry throughout Europe.
It has been developed specifically to enable operators to achieve regulatory compliance by improving the prevention and mitigation of major accident hazards across the lifecycle of their assets. It consists of the following key stages:
- Establish context for safety and environmental risk management
- Identify hazards, including identification of MEIs
- Risk analysis and evaluation
- Risk management (using ALARP) and identification of critical elements
- Development of performance standards for critical elements
- Lifecycle management of critical elements
- Assurance and verification of critical element performance.
The RP is applicable to operators not just within the EU, but also those that have assets in the Norwegian Continental Shelf and elsewhere, particularly if they are considering the same approach to MEI prevention across all their offshore assets.