- Major pipeline operators are facing severe MIC problems in their pipelines and spend millions of dollars on mitigation through logistics and the cost of biocide chemicals.
- Most pipeline maintenance services focus on reactive mitigation and repair work due to the lack of methods for predicting the effect of MIC in the pipeline. There is therefore an urgent need to develop an innovative solution to assess the risk associated with MIC in subsea pipelines.
- DNV GL has developed a corrosion risk assessment tool called Multi-Analytic Risk Visualization (MARV™). However, the database and models for MIC are currently limited. Improving the models requires more operational data to enhance MIC prediction accuracy associated with, for example, sulphate reducing bacteria (SRB).
- Collect from industrial participants and categorize the operational and ILI data pertaining to pipelines affected by MIC.
- Perform MIC mapping pertaining to the pitting/grooving depth, width, length distributions, pipeline locations and clock position, etc.
- Develop a MIC model to predict corrosion by SRB in pipelines and implement the database and models in the Pipeline Corrosion Management Tool MARVTM.
- Assists decision-making relating to inspection, mitigation, control requirements and permanent repair solutions applying composite inline repair methods.
- Increases production uptime, which can be significant considering the potential loss of production due to leaks or cutbacks in production.
- Predictive maintenance and operation planning using fact-based data analysis and modelling to reduce downtime and ensure cost-efficient maintenance & inspection (OPEX) and life extension to improve operational excellence.
- Shortens the time needed to make informed decisions.
- Basis for determining the locations for direct and detailed inspection.
- Cost savings due to a reduction in offshore campaigns, the early detection of MIC activity and prevention of failures.
- More quantified and analytical approach for planning maintenance.
- The result of the assessment will assist in optimizing and maintaining operating pipeline assets.
- Provides a timeline for the implementation of temporary or permanent repair solutions before leak incidents occur.