Combustible dusts pose explosion hazards in a wide range of industrial facilities. Current guidelines for the design of explosion protection systems are unsuitable for the increasingly large facilities available. There is a need to understand the effects of scale on the potential for flammable atmospheres to be formed and the effectiveness of current guidance in the mitigation of dust explosion hazards.
- Conduct large-scale experiments under both idealized and realistic conditions combined with modelling activities.
- Validate methodologies for modelling dust explosions using CFD.
- Determination of the potential for dust build-up, escalation or effects due to the variability of feedstocks.
- Safe and cost-effective explosion protection systems.
- Industry guidance.
NOK 8.5 million through the prevention of fire and explosion incidents*
* Factory Mutual Insurance Company estimated in 2011 that dust-related incidents resulted in losses of over USD 1 million