ECO Retrofit – vessel efficiency upgrades
Head of Section - Advisory Americas
Explore our advisory services networkGo to network
Our ECO Retrofit solution helps you identify, prioritize and implement the best retrofit measures, tailored to your operation.
Retrofit options are numerous and well-informed decisions require a good understanding of your ship design and its anticipated operation. In a stepwise approach DNVGL experts guide you from the first cost benefit assessment to the final design. Retrofit options with the best return on investment encompass:
- Bulbous bow
- Energy-saving devices (ESDs) and appendages
Not sure if ECO Retrofit is an option for your vessel(s)? We can provide a quick check based on:
Each design is tailormade
We utilize a formal optimization approach featuring fully parametric models, both for the propeller and the bulbous bow. While optimizing for best performance on the agreed operational profile (speed-draft-cases), boundary conditions such as hardpoints at the bow or cavitation criteria at the propeller are considered. A typical optimization involves more than 5,000 design variants analyzed on 6 operational cases.
A virtual sea trial is included
Optimization results are validated by DNVGL’s Ship Performance Simulator (SPS). Full-scale RANSE CFD propulsion simulations utilizing a standardized and validated power assessment provide an accurate saving figure. A comprehensive online report with 3D flow visualization show where the savings are.
Discover the advantages of retrofitting with support from DNV GL:
- Fast assessment of the retrofit measures that benefit you the most
- Clear overview of expected fuel savings from the measures, effective for your individual operational needs
- Guidance and expert support related to tank tests, sub-suppliers, shipyard works, sea trials and more
- Investment safety, with a higher competitive advantage on the market
- As your independent partner, we only have your business needs in mind