An energy management system (EMS) – sometimes called a transmission management system – takes care of the real-time operation of transmission grids, often managing both transmission and generation assets. Hence having the right energy EMS is key to transmission grid reliability. But with ever-changing cyber security regulations and the growth of green energy, the choice and capabilities of solutions available is constantly evolving. So how do you find the right EMS for you? DNV GL’s know-how and experience can guide you through procurement and implementation / deployment to ensure your EMS meets your specific needs.
Updating or replacing an EMS can be a huge and costly task. Our EMS advisory service provides up-to-date, vendor-neutral advice for utilities, regional transmission organisations (RTOs) and independent system operators (ISOs). With our strong heritage in transmission and distribution (T&D) and renewable generation, we understand the technical and business considerations you face and can guide you to an EMS that satisfies both sets of requirements.
An all-round partner
Through our active links with vendors, we make sure you always have access to the latest information in this fast-moving market. And our requirements documents, RFPs, costing spreadsheets, vendor questionnaires and ancillary procurement documents minimise your procurement effort.
We have worked on implementation projects with all EMS vendors. And we have the technical expertise to tailor their systems, databases and displays to your specific requirements. Moreover, thanks to a strong track record in cyber security, we can ensure your chosen solution meets all required regulations such as NERC CIP.
- Developing business cases for replacing or upgrading your EMS
- Procurement support e.g. developing requirements and RFP
- Project management of EMS implementation
- Technical subject matter expert on all EMS components
- Advanced transmission grid management applications (e.g. state estimator, optimal power flow)
- Cyber security (NERC CIP compliance)
- System architecture, including multi-site systems
- Acceptance testing
- Interfaces to other platforms
- Database conversion from old to new EMS
- Display conversion from old to new EMS