Explosions modelling software
With the 3D Explosions extension we bring advanced modelling capabilities to Phast, the world-leading process hazard analysis software. The explosion modelling software includes 3D Explosion analysis, directional modelling and the ability to create composite hazard contours.
Vapour cloud explosions
Vapour cloud explosions (VCEs) are the result of an ignition of a cloud of flammable vapour, gas or mist. The flame gains high velocity, which leads to overpressure. These vapour cloud explosions are some of the most destructive explosions in process industries and can occur when a vessel that contains a pressurized liquid is ruptured. Flammable gas comes in contact with air and is ignited in confined area. VCE modelling looks at various explosion scenarios with defined parameters, such as whether the release is of flammable gas or liquid, the pressure, temperature, congestion, release period and more.
What you get with our explosion modelling software:
- DNV GL’s vast expertise and knowledge integrated into a software tool specifically developed for modelling of explosions
- Leading explosion assessment capability that reflects the latest advancements in vapour cloud explosion science and explosion modelling
- Access to a host of advanced consequence modelling capability not available in the standard version of Phast software. The explosion modelling software extension supports compliance with guidelines on the design and location of occupied buildings subject to explosion hazards, including, for example, API RP 752 and API RP 753 and Facility siting considerations in general
- More detailed consideration of explosions consequences in comparison to the standard version of Phast
Process industry hazard analysis
Experience has shown that the damage potential to persons, equipment and buildings associated with explosions can be significant. Consequently, it is important that this kind of hazard is evaluated as robustly and rigorously as possible. The 3D Explosions extension brings advanced explosions modelling capability to the Phast platform and enables more detailed and extensive analysis of this threat.
With Phast explosions modelling software you can:
- Explicitly consider the interaction of the flammable cloud and identified regions of congestion in 3D.
This can be done using either the Multi-Energy or Baker Strehlow Tang models
- Elevated clouds and regions of confinement can be assessed as well as separation distances between congested regions
- Generate blast parameters for overpressure and impulse (side-on, reflected or dynamic) and display as contours or in tabular reports
- Determine design accidental loads on key equipment and structure.
- Develop combined hazard contours in the explosion modelling software for a range scenarios and hazard types (explosions, fires, toxics and flammable clouds)
- Consider directional aspects that can influence the explosion modelling outcome (e.g. wind or surface roughness)
- Rapidly define exclusion zones and safe distances and use this to inform safe design or demonstrate regulatory compliance
Phast helped SCG modelling consequence analysis with credible and reasonable results. The 'help' tab and 'technical document' contain excellent knowledge for our understanding in methodology and output - we could describe the results to team with confidence and trustfulness.