Software errors and system integration problems can quickly turn into downtime, equipment damage, incidents or accidents. Through our Marine Cybernetics services and proven hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing processes, we support you with profound insights into the design and functionality of your control systems, and ensure transparency and dialogue between equipment manufacturers, yards, owners and charterers.
DNV GL is the pioneer in control system software testing in the maritime and offshore segment. Since 2002, the DNV GL Marine Cybernetics line has been providing this service for a variety of vessels and control systems. More than 500 control systems have been tested using HIL technology, identifying more than 14,000 issues. We have worked with most manufacturers, yards and shipowners.
The test aims to detect software errors, design flaws and to verify failure handling for a control system by using a simulator. The HIL simulator acts as a virtual world for the control system by simulating mathematically necessary actuators, dynamics and sensors. It makes the control system believe it is operating the real system. In this way, tests can be easily performed in a safe environment at the vendor’s facility at an early stage.
The Marine Cybernetics service line offers an extensive toolbox for control system software testing, including HIL testing for any type of control system, such as:
- dynamic positioning
- power management system
- steering, propulsion and thruster
- drill floor (such as draw work, top drive and pipe racker , in addition to zone management and integrated functionalities)
- blowout preventer
- managed pressure drilling
- integration testing between different systems and vendors
Benefits of HIL testing with DNV GL:
- a safer and more robust automation system
- fewer software issues during operation and commissioning
- compliance with owners’ specifications
- check for design flaws and proper failure handling
Start your digital twin with HIL testing!