Working in challenging and extreme conditions demands constant vigilance and risk awareness. Thorough investigation of emergencies and accidents can pinpoint causes and prevent further incidents.
DNV GL has a long history of providing incident investigation services and laboratory investigations, and developing root causes methodologies.
Investigation of incidents and near misses is a key part of most company safety management systems and is a regulatory requirement for major hazard facilities. Incident investigations provide warnings that designs and operations may not be achieving the safety objectives assumed. Good investigation goes beyond immediate and basic technical causes to examine management systems root causes and safety barrier failures.
DNV GL provides an independent investigation using experts familiar with major accident techniques, complex technologies, and difficult or challenging environments such in ultra-deepwater or arctic locations. Our Barrier-based Systematic Cause Analysis Technique (BSCAT) combines traditional technical and management system root cause analysis with modern barrier-based risk assessment.
Accident investigation services are available from multiple locations through our Risk Advisory Services teams.
What you get:
- Root Cause Analysis of serious incidents
- Systematic Cause Analysis Technique (SCAT) and Barrier-based SCAT (BSCAT)
- Investigation services (accident HAZOP, witness statements, timeline)
- Fire and explosion analysis, including mathematical modelling of complex phenomena
- Laboratory analysis of materials (at multiple locations) and fire and explosion testing (at Spadeadam, UK and Singapore)
- Investigation training and methodology development
- Immediate response and evidence collection – provided for UK gas accidents
- Expert witness service.