What is NERC FAC 008-3?
All entities in North America with bulk electric system (BES) equipment, such as transmission and generator owners, must comply with NERC FAC 008-3 facility ratings regulations published by NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation). The entities are required by NERC FAC 008-3 to have a Facility Rating Methodology. Facility ratings that are used in planning and operation must be based on technically sound principles and defensible methodologies. A facility rating is needed to determine system operating limits in the bulk electric system. There must be a record of most limiting series elements for each BES facility in the system. Changes to the system that affect ratings must be documented and auditable.
NERC compliance software for facility ratings management
NERC compliance software supports the use of a facility ratings methodology. LOAD is the industry’s first fully integrated facility ratings management solution, providing a single source of truth for electric facility ratings information. The software ensures a consistent technical process, minimizing data loss and improving accessibility of information between engineering, planning, operations, and NERC FAC 008-3 compliance. LOAD covers all aspects of calculating, approving and reporting element and facility ratings across your entire organization, with a robust reporting system specialized for facility ratings and NERC compliance. LOAD allow users to create rating methodologies which can be consistently applied with ease across the enterprise. Changes to the system are recorded with the option to add attachments at each stage of a change process.
The software addresses facility rating challenges, such as organization of data, reporting data, evergreen data, coordination with operations and information system management.
LOAD is the first commercially-available electric grid software program to consistently rate all equipment on the line. It performs thermal rating calculations to accommodate different climate conditions to support a reliable grid and NERC compliance requirements. LOAD allows for the use of industry standard (IEEE) algorithms for rating conductors, transformers and other equipment. LOAD can be fully integrated with your other IT systems, and provides a platform for data export to PSS®E, CYME, EMS systems, as well as distribution analysis software, such as Synergi Electric.
On-going support and facilities rating management best practices expertise is available through our experienced implementation and advisory service teams.
Key benefits of LOAD software for facility ratings management
- Helps ensure you have accurate, up-to-date facilities rating information easily available
- Reduces time and stress required for compliance reporting for reliability standards, such as NERC FAC 008-3
- Consistent and technically accurate ratings methodology
- Helps you determine the specific piece of equipment that most limits throughput along a particular line (most limiting series element)
- Technically accurate and consistent electric facility ratings methodology to ease NERC compliance
- Ensures all stakeholders have easy access to the most recent approved or historical ratings
- Supports improvement of accuracy, consistency and efficiency of facility ratings management
- Frees up key technical staff and subject matter experts (SMEs ) to focus on system reliability, planning, and operations
- Automatic tracking of facility ratings and maintenance of audit record for line, facility and element and changes
- Configurable security settings to ensure necessary access and edit controls across teams
- Supplied with full user documentation and training