Shaft alignment is a challenge due to increased power, lower shaft speeds and heavier propellers, combined with a shorter propulsion shaft and de-rated propulsion – all of which need to be carefully considered in the design.
DNV GL has experience from several research and troubleshooting projects studying the interaction between hull deflections, propeller forces and the shaft line. Thus, we have expert knowledge of the parameters that affect shaft alignment to avoid shaft and bearing problems.
Our shaft alignment report for a newbuilding may include:
- Shaft alignment and whirling analyses
- Analysis of propeller excitation forces
- Verification of the alignment
We can also verify the alignment on-site by measurements of bearing reaction force, bending stresses and run out measurements during and after the newbuilding, conversion or repair process and give advice for an improved alignment of the shaft line.
Our experience makes the investigation of problems more effective – shortening repair time and helping to keep your operations running. Combined with our in-house multidisciplinary technical knowledge and experience, we are your active partner for finding the true source of damage caused by shaft alignment and for providing assistance in shaft design.
Keep your operations running, thanks to our reliable advice within shaft alignment:
- Avoid delays in delivery, thereby reducing costly off-hire
- Profit from effective investigation of problems, which shortens repair time
- Expert troubleshooting and assistance in shaft design gives you additional confidence