Underwater noise analysis
Our commitment to safer, greener and smarter shipping encompasses reducing the harmful effects of underwater noise on sea life.
Underwater noise is becoming an ever larger environmental issue. Noise exposure is proven to have harmful effects on health – on marine life too. Requirements to counteract this are in force and need to be complied with.
Many owners rely on our unique competence in underwater noise calculations. Principally offshore survey vessels, seismic vessels, navy ships, fishing vessels and research vessels, which use sophisticated hydro-acoustic equipment, rely on DNV GL to provide underwater noise analysis – enabling them to perform their tasks proficiently and effectively.
Other ship types, for instance cruise ships, need to demonstrate a controlled noise emission. This is particularly relevant when moving into environmentally sensitive areas. Likewise, offshore operations such as decommissioning, which produce underwater noise emission, have to control noise emissions due to its potentially big impact on marine life.
Our analysis covers:
- Tip vortex calculation by means of semi-empirical methods
- State-of-the-art CFD calculations of propeller-induced pressure impulses at blade rate orders
- Calculation of the noise radiation from machinery components, such as the main diesel engines and electric motors
- Recommendations for the most cost-effective modifications
- Environmental impact assessment
Our extensive database, built up over years, enables us to correlate findings to full-scale measurements. Continuous feedback provides us with valuable input for further expanding our knowledge base and continuously fine-tuning our methods.
Rely on DNV GL’s experience in underwater noise analysis:
- Reduce noise emission from vessels and show your ship is environmentally friendlier
- Minimise your vessel’s environmental impact, boosting your image
- Comply with various specifications on underwater noise, such as the DNV GL – Silent Class and ICES 209
- Receive a realistic recommendation of the most cost-effective noise-reducing measures
- Benefit from the reliability that comes with over 40 years of experience in underwater noise analysis – for all types of vessels