Verification of lifting appliances
Preventing incidents and accidents by ensuring safe lifting operations
Lifting appliances are inherently high risk, whether operated offshore or onshore. Most countries have strict requirements for design verification, fabrication survey, and witnessing of testing.
DNV GL has deep technical and operational knowledge and extensive experience of crane/lifting projects in the oil and gas industry, working with operators, contractors, crane manufacturers, rig owners, and engineering and service companies.
Based on our global presence, comprehensive experience, expertise competence and familiarization with relevant standards and regulations, we can advise on which level of verification involvement should be pursued.
Our main goal and focus is to reduce risks related to technical integrity of the equipment and its operational context. DNV GL has an active role in national and international standardization committees (EN/ISO standards, NORSOK), and we ensure our experts are always updated as new revisions of standards are published.
We develop our own rules, standards, service specifications, and recommended practices (RPs) (many in close cooperation with the industry) and take initiatives to establish new RPs in accordance with market demands.
Lifting appliances need to be safe in use, with downtime kept to a minimum. We create value for clients by providing confidence, solutions and implementation.
Appliances and equipment covered by us:
- New and in-service cranes
- Lifting appliances
- Launching appliances for life-saving davits
- Winches and brakes
What we provide:
- Structural integrity
- Control and safety systems
- Ignition sources and reliability
- Risk management approach
- Standards, rules and regulations
- Design verification according to international rules
- Certification according to international rules
- Inspection and testing
- Advisory service
- Enterprise of Competence (EoC) at the Norwegian Continental Shelf
- Notified Body for the Machinery Directive (2006/42/EC).
DNV GL certification assures:
- A seal of quality for your products
- The trust and confidence of your customers
- Easier access to the market
- Expert support whenever you need it.