As wave and tidal energy matures, new device types are constantly being developed. New concepts are appearing that could significantly impact the feasibility and cost of marine energy as a whole. But to secure funding for these concepts, a range of stakeholders need to have confidence in their potential.
Our Concept analysis service for wave and tidal power helps you discover the true potential of a design. The service draws on our vast experience in marine energy and design assessment – we have modelled more types of machine than anyone else in the industry. This expertise is combined with our industry-leading, bespoke software for wave and tidal energy convertors which has been extensively validated on a wide range of device types.
At the earliest stage of development, you need to assess the technical and economic potential of your concept: will it work and will it be cost effective. We can help you:
- Estimate power output and energy yield
- Understand your device’s behaviour
Once you have identified a promising concept, how do you get it commercialized? What specific design challenges face you and how do you solve them? Here we support you by creating:
- Timelines for R&D activities and studies, including dates for reaching key milestones
- Plans for moving through the various technology readiness levels
Throughout development it is vital to monitor the economic viability of the concept to ensure it is on track. By taking a broader view, we can help you identify costs that may not have been previously considered and spot opportunities for cost reduction.
The assessment includes:
- Evaluating all cost of energy factors related to your device
- Calculating projected energy yields and financial returns from the device
- Determining the device’s overall economic viability