The Accredited ISM Auditor course provides participants with the additional competence needed to be certified ISM Auditor. DNV GL has been approved as a recognized course provider for the Accredited ISM Auditor course. This 5 day course concludes with a two part exam (written and oral) delivered by Norsk Sertifisering AS (Quality Management Certification AS). http://norsksertifisering.no/personell/international-safety-management-ism
- Education: Either minimum 2 years higher technical education or Maritime Education and experience as a certified ship's officer. Other cases may also be considered by certification body.
- Work experience: Have been working within the maritime field and/or safety management for minimum of 4 years
- Basic Knowledge: National and International maritime regulations
- Good knowledge of the ISM Code
- Equivalent of 15 days previous training on management systems (i.e. ISM, Quality Management, HMS, or Risk Management)
- Auditing experience: Must have participated as an active auditor on minimum 5 auditing jobs with overall duration of 20 days (including preparation and reporting). The auditing jobs may be internal or external based on the ISM Code or other standards/regulations and must have been conducted within last 3 years before certification. The candidate must have participated as an active auditor but this does not mean as a Lead Auditor. The reports (1 full report and one page from four other parties showing the role of the candiadate in the audit). Names and other sensitve information may be hidden.
- Partipation in an ISM Internal Auditor, or ISM Lead Auditor, course approved by an accrediting certification body.
- Pass the ISM Auditor exam delivered by Norsk Sertifisering AS ( Quality Management Certification AS)
- Personal Certificate issued to those who successfully complete the exam is valid for 3 years.
Who should attend:
Employees who are members of an audit team currently working for ship owners, ship management companies; senior and junior officers on board vessels; P&I and Hull Clubs conducting external audits of shipping companies; PSC Officers and Vetting Inspectors; any other persons verifying degree of implementation of Safety Management Systems ashore or on board vessels.
Duration: 5 days
The ISM Code is a mandatory international standard for the safe management and operation of ships. It sets the requirements for a company management system with regard to safety and pollution prevention, including the development and implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS).
The course includes all relevant topics for establishing and maintaining a Safety Management System which needs to be a dynamic tool that is "lived" by the whole organization. The course adheres to ISO 19011 "Guidelines for auditing management systems" and discusses relevant topics when conducting internal audits including the need for a systematic and independent examination to determine whether the SMS activities and related results comply with planned arrangements and are suitable to achieve objectives.
The course focuses on:
- Key aspects of management systems in general
- Objectives of the ISM Code
- Understanding and interpreting the ISM Code requirements
- Practical solutions for meeting ISM Code requirements
- Challenges when developing or improving an SMS
- ISO 19011 principles for sound and practical audit performance
- Understanding the audit as a management tool
- Dynamic elements of the SMS
- Documentation for practical support of audits