Competence & Qualification
The Accredited ISM Auditor course provides participants with the additional competence needed to be certified ISM Auditor. DNV GL has been approved as a recognized course provider for the Accredited ISM Auditor course. This 5 day course concludes with a two part exam (written and oral) delivered by Norsk Sertifisering AS (Quality Management Certification AS). http://norsksertifisering.no/personell/international-safety-management-ism
The ISM Code is a mandatory international standard for the safe management and operation of ships. It sets the requirements for a company management system with regard to safety and pollution prevention, including the development and implementation of a Safety Management System (SMS).
The course includes all relevant topics for establishing and maintaining a Safety Management System which needs to be a dynamic tool that is "lived" by the whole organization. The course adheres to ISO 19011 "Guidelines for auditing management systems" and discusses relevant topics when conducting internal audits including the need for a systematic and independent examination to determine whether the SMS activities and related results comply with planned arrangements and are suitable to achieve objectives.
The course focuses on:
- Key aspects of management systems in general
- Objectives of the ISM Code
- Understanding and interpreting the ISM Code requirements
- Practical solutions for meeting ISM Code requirements
- Challenges when developing or improving an SMS
- ISO 19011 principles for sound and practical audit performance
- Understanding the audit as a management tool
- Dynamic elements of the SMS
- Documentation for practical support of audits