DNV GL has established a barrier-based systematic cause analysis technique (BSCAT™) which delivers a powerful and easy-to-understand causation diagram. This develops internal knowledge, facilitates communication and ensures that lessons learnt are linked to the facility risk assessments.
Course descriptionThe incident investigation course gives an overview and basic knowledge of incident investigation; theory, approach, investigation process (e.g. setting up investigation team, mandate), methods and tools, and reporting of incidents (including follow-up).
- How to use the BSCAT methodology in an incident investigation
- How incidents are classified and why it is important to investigate incidents based on potential severity
- What evidence might be available and how to assess and use it
- How to consider personality types and skills when putting together an incident investigation team
- How to identify the sequence of events, the key events, and then barriers based on evidence obtained
- How to use SCAT and then apply this to a BSCAT investigation for each barrier
- How and why incident investigation reporting is important.