To provide training covering the function of a superintendent during docking of a vessel.
Sea-going experience as an officer/engineer or shore experience in ship management/operation.
Who should attend:
Duration: 3 days
Dry docking a ship or carrying out major repairs, conversions or modifications can easily turn into a nightmare if not adequately planned. Spares which do not arrive on time, specialist technicians who arrive at the wrong time, poorly detailed Repair Specifications, not to mention the Shipyard that is ill prepared; all these factors turn what is a very standard job into a chaotic nightmare with delays and escalation of expected docking costs.
Understanding the economics of drydocking a vessel along with good project management, meticulous planning and preparation will stand any Superintendent in charge of a dry docking in good stead for the unexpected when the vessel arrives in dock, and generally there will always be something that was not foreseen! This three-day practical course starts with a basic introduction to dry docking and then takes participants through the entire process from the planning and pre-arrival stages to the actual docking and repair, before looking at invoicing issues and most importantly the final “Dry dock Report”.
Participants will be provided with the necessary knowledge and proficiency to prepare for a vessel dry docking and to show objective evidence that training for ship operation has been undertaken as per ISM Code requirements.
The course focuses on:
- Why we dry dock and when to start the docking process
- Understand the economics of drydocking
- Project Management
- How you plan for the docking
- Understanding Risk Management
- Producing a Repair Specification and Tendering
- Confirming which shipyard to use
- Pre-arrival preparations for office, ship and shipyard and arrival in the shipyard
- Drydocking safety & security
- General repair knowledge and the pitfalls that can be encountered
- Undocking and departure
- Dealing with the invoice for the repairs and final repair reporting