Download your complimentary 32-page copy
Shuttle tankers are used to transport crude oil from offshore oil wells to terminals or refineries where subsea pipelines are not feasible. Major deployment areas include the North Sea and the Brazilian offshore fields.
Safety and environmentally friendly operations are major features of the design, which requires special attention to:
- loading procedure and loading system,
- manoeuvrability/positioning in rough weather,
- trading in rough weather in coastal waters, and
- trading in areas where pollution is looked upon extremely seriously with regard to
- evaporation of the cargo to the air,
- air pollution from machinery,
- oil pollution due to grounding/collision, and
- oil pollution due to incorrect operations.
- On the following pages, we will discuss these items and the related class notations.