Cyber security approval for components and systems
Control Systems team
Get in touch with the DNV GL office nearest to youSend inquiry to local office
DNV GL verifies the cyber security of individual components or systems for ships and offshore installations.
Establishing a baseline of your vessels’ current security is crucial. Do you know your assets’ security level? When adding a new component to an existing system, what security requirements do you need to meet?
What is type approval and what is its purpose?
The “DNVGL-CP-0231 Security Assessment of Control System Components” type approval programme is a rigorous certification regime that demonstrates the cyber security capability of on-board systems.
By choosing this voluntary type approval class programme, manufacturers can demonstrate compliancy with independently developed and recognized security requirements. This is especially important in today’s trends of IT and Operational Technology (OT) connectivity and complexity, as well as the need for live updates on an asset’s status and the increase in cyber criminal activities.
DNV GL type approval is based on the IEC 62443 standard.
Type approval activities according to DNVGL-CP-0231:
- Manufacturer selects the desired security level.
- Verification of security capabilities performed via document assessment.
- Testing of security functions
- On successful completion, a certificate is issued.
Benefit from the DNV GL approach to cyber security type approval of your systems and components:
- Demonstrate to the market that your product is cyber secure according to selected security levels
- Cyber security type approval certificate from an independent third party
- Thorough verification with the potential to improve overall product security
- Certificate is valid for up to 2 years, avoiding project-based verification