European Energy Efficiency Directive Article 8
Will you be compliant by December 2019? DNV GL takes the stress out of Article 8 compliance!
What is Article 8?
Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive 2012/27/EU (EU EED), which has been transposed into national legislation in all EU Member States, requires large enterprises (non-SMEs) to comply with the energy audit obligation.
Are you affected?
Figuring out whether the audit obligation applies to your company and then reaching compliance can be a difficult process, especially for multinationals. Member States have different interpretations of a large company and who’s affected by Article 8. A few examples:
- Some Member States follow the European rules on consolidation of data (number of employees and financial data) to determine whether a company is a non-SME, whereas others don’t require any consolidation at all or only within national borders.
- Some Member States require a small office belonging to an international company to do an energy audit, whereas others don’t.
- Some Member States allow sampling or only auditing part of your energy consumption.
- The requirements for the auditors and the energy audits are different across Member States.
Multinationals are required to comply with the legislative requirements of every Member State they operate in, which causes them to struggle with compliance, losing time and getting penalised for not complying with legislation.
The clock is ticking
The deadline for compliance is 5 December 2019 in most countries. To reach this, you need to submit (or have available) an energy audit report that meets all national requirements.
Why should I have a compliance plan?
- Save up to 80% on energy audit costs.
- Reach compliance faster.
- Avoid penalties and reputation damage for non-compliance.
Planning is key
DNV GL can develop a compliance plan, telling you which audits you must do and providing relevant information such as:
- Consolidation rules
- Auditor requirements
- Audit requirements
A compliance plan can save up to 80% of the energy audit costs through sampling techniques. Using our auditors’ experience, we select the most relevant locations so that you’ll get most value from your energy audits at the lowest cost.
Please contact us! We’ll talk you through the requirements of article 8 and identify the solution that best fits your needs.
DNV GL will save you a lot of time, effort, stress and penalties!
What our customers say