European Energy Efficiency Directive Article 8
Team Lead Industrial Energy Management | Senior Consultant Energy Markets & Technology
Want to know more?Watch
Are you in line with national energy audit legislation? DNV GL takes the stress out of Article 8 compliance!
What is Article 8?
Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive 2012/27/EU (EU EED), which has been transposed into national legislation in all EU Member States, requires large enterprises (non-SMEs) to comply with the energy audit obligation.
Are you affected?
Figuring out whether the audit obligation applies to your company and then reaching compliance can be a difficult process, especially for multinationals. A few examples:
- Some Member States follow the European rules on consolidation of data (number of employees and financial data) to determine whether a company is a non-SME, whereas others don’t require any consolidation at all or only within national borders.
- Some Member States require a small office belonging to an international company to do an energy audit, whereas others don’t.
- Some Member States allow sampling or only auditing part of your energy consumption.
- The requirements for the auditors and the energy audits are different across Member States
- Deadlines for compliance differ across Member States: some are fixed (drop-dead), whereas other depend on your most recent energy audit action.
- Some Member States require formal submission of energy audit results, whereas in others you just need to have your reports available in case you are being checked.
Multinationals are required to comply with the legislative requirements of every Member State they operate in, which causes them to struggle with compliance, losing time and getting penalised for not complying with legislation.
Why should I have a compliance plan?
- Save up to 80% on energy audit costs.
- Reach compliance faster.
- Avoid penalties and reputation damage for non-compliance.
Planning is key
DNV GL can develop a compliance plan, telling you which audits you must do and providing relevant information such as:
- Consolidation rules
- Auditor requirements
- Audit requirements
- Penalties for non-compliance
A compliance plan can save up to 80% of the energy audit costs through sampling techniques. Using our auditors’ experience, we select the most relevant locations so that you’ll get most value from your energy audits at the lowest cost.
Please contact us! We’ll talk you through the requirements of article 8 and identify the solution that best fits your needs.
DNV GL will save you a lot of time, effort, stress and penalties!
What our customers say