Maritime cyber security services and solutions
Benefit from tailored DNV GL solutions for maritime cyber security addressing systems, software, procedures and human factors.
Cyber security threats have grown in reach and complexity. As a consequence, cyber security has become a concern and should be considered as an integral part of the overall safety management in shipping and offshore operations. With multifaceted vulnerabilities and cyber-attack scenarios (intended or unintended), the answer to cyber security lies in a multifaceted approach to manage risks.
DNV GL uses a systematic approach to assess the cyber security of vessels and their interaction with land-based management. Best practices from risk management in oil & gas, maritime and energy applications come together to identify threats and build counter-strategies, looking at both technical and behavioural aspects.
Proven cyber security management approaches look at:
- Raising the awareness of all stakeholders, including onshore personnel and offshore crews
- Assessing and implementing defensive and reactive countermeasures
- Monitoring and reviewing effectiveness and robustness of barriers, emphasising continuous improvement
Our approaches address information technology (IT) as well as the industry-specific operational technology (OT) systems. Our range of services and solutions include:
- Recommended practice “Cyber security Resilience Management (for ships and mobile offshore units in operation)”: To guide owners, managers and operators of ships or mobile offshore units towards enhanced cyber security of their assets.
- Cyber security assessment: Our interdisciplinary teams engage with your onshore personnel and offshore crews to identify and address your cyber security risks via various levels of assessment; starting with a high-level self-assessment through an App on MyDNVGL, to more detailed assessments tailored to your specific business risks.
- Cyber security enhancement – Based on a systematic assessment, we help you efficiently close cyber security gaps by supporting the development of improvement plans, looking at systems, the human factor and management procedures.
- Penetration testing – Testing the robustness of your barriers is essential to ensure that your assets are secure. Our penetration testing offer comprehensive and effective validation of your systems and procedures.
- Verification for newbuilds - We provide third-party verification of cyber security requirements throughout the newbuild project life cycle and issue a letter of compliance (LOC).
- Verification for ships in operation - We provide an assessment of your vessel’s on-board cyber security and issue a LOC.
- Training – Our classroom training covers management, technical and hacking lessons. Our e-learning solution can be performed on board or in the office, so your crews can address pivotal aspects of any cyber security system – covering the human factor.
- ISO/IEC 27001 preparedness – DNV GL Maritime assesses the existing documentation to help you prepare for certification.
- Certification – DNV GL Business Assurance certify against ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO 22301. (Note that certification will limit the possibility for provision of consulting services).
Be on the safe side of cyber security with DNV GL:
- Combining traditional IT security best practices with in-depth understanding of maritime operations and industrial automated control systems
- Local and international experts draw on extensive knowledge and experience in cyber security risk management, maritime operations and the human factor
- All testing and recommended mitigation measures are tailored to specific maritime needs